Monday, January 7, 2008

Education in Singapore

Hi.Today I am talking abt Singapore's education system.Many people have said that the education system here is screwed up.I agree. First of all, why are given so much pressure at such a young age? From preschool, we are already being compared with other children. Here's an example:

Mum 1: Hello,how's your boy?
Mum2: Ok lah. The teacher says that he still cannot read. I am worried that he may have dyslexia.
Mum 1: Dyslexia? Wah! So serious. Anyway,my boy also no better. You know he only got 8/10 when his classmates got 9 or 10? I want to send him for tution but he is only 5 yrs old. Now I don't know what to do.

This is what happens 7 yrs later...

Mum 1: Hello! How much did your son get ah?
Mum 2: Not much lah. Only get 257.
Mum 1: 257 is a good score wat. My son only got 249. Now I am giving him xtra tution 4 all subjects.
Mum 2: I want my son to go RI. Now he have to go to Dunman High only. So disappointing!
Mum 1: Aiyah! Children nowadays only want to play!

I have heard this kind of conversations so many times I have to speak up. First of all,how can parents compare and put down their children in public? The most common excuse would be: I don't want to seem arrogant. Let me ask you,is a simple "Thank you for your compliment/comment" arrogant too? Of course it's not! Secondly,why must parents care so much about how many marks their children get? In the end,it won't matter simply because the children are starting a NEW year in a NEW school.

I will continue my complaining another time.

No SchoolWhat I wish would happen more often.



No comments: